I’m Diana Bird. Originally from Gisborne, I now live in Hamilton, New Zealand, with my husband, 11 year old border collie cross dog, Bounce and 2 year old border collie, Spring. We have three adult children.
I began my training life with German shepherds, followed by a golden retriever X, heading dog and border collies. I dabbled in competitive obedience and then discovered agility. As well as being an active member of my local training clubs (originally teaching domestic obedience classes, now instructing agility), I have also worked as an SPCA volunteer.
Dog training made me ask questions and investigate new ideas about the whole teaching and learning process.
I haven’t used a choker for 20 years and have no use for dominance theory. I generously reward learning with anything that works for the dog. Food, games, affection and life rewards are excellent for teaching and maintaining behaviour.
I have met many people online and face to face who generously shared their thoughts, ideas and experiences. They ‘paid it forward’ and I appreciated it, so now I’m doing it too. I share my ideas in the hope that dogs will be more humanely and effectively trained, better understood, and people and dogs will have a greater quality of life.
Training my dogs really has changed my life.
These are some of the books I’ve read and DVDs I’ve watched.
- The Other End of the Leash Patricia McConnell
- Don’t Shoot the Dog Karen Pryor
- Excel – erated Learning Pam Reid
- Control Unleashed and Control Unleashed – The Puppy Program Leslie McDevitt
- The Focused Puppy Deborah Jones and Judy Keller
- Culture Clash Jean Donaldson
- Mine Jean Donaldson
- Fight Jean Donaldson
- Off Leash Dog Play Robin Bennett CPDT and Susan Briggs CKD
- Calming Signals Turid Rugaas
- Dog Quirks Lynn Hoover
- In Defense of Dogs John Bradshaw
- The Dog Vinci Code John Rogerson
- The Body Language and Emotion of Dogs Myrna M. Milani DVM
- Out and About With Your Dog Sue Sternberg
- Dogs – A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior and Evolution Ray and Lorna Coppinger
- The Evolution of Canine Social Behavior Roger Abrantes
- The Dog’s Mind Bruce Fogle
- How to Speak Dog Stanley Coren
- Plenty in Life is Free Kathy Sdao
- Canine Body Language – A Photographic Guide Brenda Aloff
- Think Dog John Fisher
- It’s Magic Sylvia Bishop
- Fired up, Frantic and Freaked Out Laura VanArendonk Baugh
Many books about human behaviour – see my book reviews (and personal musings) on The Power of Yet.
- I could do anything, if only I knew what it was Barbara Sher
- Simplicity Bill Jensen
- Anger Management for Everyone Raymond Tafrate and Howard Kassinove.
- The Winner Effect Ian H. Robinson
- Leadership and Self Deception
These are books I read out of curiosity, in order to understand the thinking of their authors and the methods they use. I am always interested in understanding other ideas.
1. Man Meets Dog Konrad Lorenz
2. Natural Dog Training Kevin Behan
3. Your Dog is Your Mirror Kevin Behan
4. Cesar’s Way Cesar Millan
5. The Koehler Dog Training Method William Koehler
1. BAT and Puppy Training Grisha Stewart
2. Am I safe? Sarah Kalnajs
3. Dog Communication Signals Sarah Kalnajs
4. Expanding the Possibilities Lynn D. Hoover
5. Dog-Dog Engagements between Unfamiliar Dogs Sue Sternberg
6. Improve your I-cue Kathy Sdao
1. Clicker Solutions (Clicker training list)
2. ARF (Science based training list)
3. CU_Dogs (Control Unleashed training discussions)
1. Kay Laurence clicker training seminar 2003 Learning About Dogs UK
2. Susan Garrett Agility Training seminar 2008 Susan Garrett’s site
3. Greg Derrett Agility Training seminar 2009 Greg Derrett’s site
4. Ian Dunbar Raising the Bar seminar 2010 Ian and Kelly Dunbar’s site
5. Patricia McConnell seminar 2010 Patricia McConnell’s site
6. Steve White seminar 2012 http://www.i2ik9.com/
7. Sophia Yin seminar 2012 http://drsophiayin.com/
8. Guinea Pig Training Camp 2013 with Roger Abrantes
9. APDTNZ John Rogerson 2015 John Rogerson
10. Engagement training (online course 2015) with Denise Fenzi Fenzi Academy
11. Learn To Talk Dog (online course 2015) with Sarah Whitehead
12. LADSNZ Training Seminar with Bob Bailey April 2017.
B.Com. Agr (Farm Management and Marketing) Lincoln University
Grad. Dip. Tchg (Primary) Waikato University
Feuerstein Instrumental Enrichment Standard 1 and 2